Your Guide to Earwig Eradication
Earwigs crawling around in your home are not a pleasant sight, and defeating an earwig infestation is complicated without the help of professional earwig control for your business or home and prevention tactics.
Frequently Asked Questions About Earwigs
What are earwigs?
Earwigs are frightening-looking insects recognized by their elongated dark brown to black bodies, long antennae, and pincer-like appendages at the back of their bodies. They belong to the scientific order of Dermaptera. Many individuals are familiar with the myths surrounding these insects, such as their supposed habit of crawling into ears and laying eggs or feeding off a person's brain. These myths are untrue, and while earwigs aren't that dangerous, they are a major nuisance to deal with around your home.
Are earwigs dangerous?
Earwigs are not particularly dangerous, but they are frightening to encounter, and large infestations of earwigs might cause fear and anxiety or destroy property as they leave behind their droppings. Earwigs are unlikely to pinch a human with their pincers, but even if they do, their pincers rarely break the skin.
That said, a widespread infestation of earwigs on your property is a serious nuisance and may result in serious stress. Professional earwig repellent tactics are the best way to deal with an earwig infestation in your home or business.
Why do I have an earwig problem?
Earwigs, like many other pests in the area, are attracted to moist areas. If your property has a lot of moist, rotting wood, humid spaces, and standing water, you may see an increase in earwigs. These pests also love hiding in vegetable gardens, around piles of organic debris, or near woodpiles and abandoned tree stumps. Removing these earwig attractants is an essential step in getting rid of earwigs for good.
Where will I find earwigs?
Outdoors, you are most likely to find earwigs hiding around vegetable gardens, in long grass or overgrown foliage, or inside piles of debris and woodpiles. Once they infiltrate interior areas, you may see earwigs around kitchens, bathrooms, basements, garages, or any other humid area with secluded hiding spots.
How do I get rid of earwigs?
If you want to get rid of earwigs the easy way, your first step is to contact Westfall's Lawn and Pest. Our team will work with you to understand your pest control concerns and provide you with essential earwig removal solutions that keep this pest gone for good. We will remove earwigs in a safe and reliable manner.
Contact us today to learn more about how professional earwig control can help, or request your free evaluation.
How can I prevent earwigs in the future?
Stop earwigs from invading your property in the future by following our expert prevention tips.
- Seal up potential earwig entry points around your property, such as the gaps near windows, doors, and the foundation.
- Take steps to totally pest-proof the inside of your property by installing door sweeps, window and door screens, and weatherstripping.
- Address moisture issues and leaks that lead to puddles of excess water and humid conditions both inside and outside your property.
- Cut back long grass, remove piles of organic debris, and store woodpiles in elevated areas to reduce easy earwig hiding spots.
- Clean out gutters and drains frequently to stop excess water from gathering and leaking all around your outdoor areas.
- Take steps to attract birds to your property that will feed on earwigs and help keep populations of these insects to a minimum.
For more information on preventing earwigs or assistance defeating infestations of these pests, contact Westfall's Lawn and Pest today.