Cockroaches are unsanitary insects. When you find evidence of cockroach activity, it is important to take action, but if you don't know what evidence to look for—no worries. Join us as we discuss cockroach warning signs, health risks, and prevention tips for Millinocket residents. You should find in this article everything you need in order to guard against cockroach-related sickness.
What are the signs of a cockroach infestation? Here are six ways to tell that cockroaches have gotten into your Millinocket home:
- Cockroach droppings - You'll find the waste of cockroaches in dark voids, tight spaces, crevices, and other hiding places. Roach droppings are black and sticky.
- Egg cases - The egg cases of cockroaches, known as oothecae, may be located in hidden places. These cases are typically a dark, reddish-brown color.
- Egg casings. You may only find the casings of oothecae in your home. Some roach species carry their oothecae until the eggs inside hatch. This is the case with German cockroaches.
- Shed skins - Cockroach nymphs shed their skins many times as they develop into adult roaches. You may find this waste material in hiding places.
- An oily smell - If you notice an unpleasant aroma that seems a little oily, it is probably cockroach pheromones you're smelling.
- Cockroach nymphs - You might get lucky and see a nymph. These young cockroaches are much smaller than the adults but move just as fast. If you notice tiny insects with long antennae zipping across floors, walls, ceilings, and other surfaces, they're probably cockroach nymphs.
If you determine that you have roaches in your home, the next step is to consider the risks. The more you know about cockroaches and their unsanitary behavior, the more likely you will be to roll your sleeves up and do the hard work of managing them.
The Health Risks Roaches Can Create In Your House
There are many risks to having roaches in your home. Some might surprise you. Here are four cockroach facts of which you should be aware:
- The waste products left by cockroaches can be a source of disease. The unsanitary things they eat cause their waste to have microbial contaminants.
- The shed parts of cockroaches are a source for allergies due to proteins in roach saliva and skins. Recent studies have shown that cockroach infestations increase hospital visitations for asthma-related issues.
- Roaches can contaminate food, surfaces, dishes, and more, simply by coming in contact with them. When roaches explore unsanitary places, they pick up parasitic worms and harmful bacteria.
- Cockroach control products can be a source of contamination. Certain chemicals used to kill roaches are not effective. Many roach species have developed an immunity to common products and can become a vector for chemical-related sickness by carrying these products into sensitive locations.
It is not good to have roaches in your Millinocket home. They are unhygienic houseguests that are linked to disease transmission and general sickness.
Five Easy & Effective Cockroach Prevention Tips
If you have not found evidence of cockroaches in your home, there are ways you can stop roaches before they get inside. Here are our five best suggestions:
- Manage exterior trash. The scent of garbage is enough to attract cockroaches into your yard. Protect trash and keep receptacles as clean as possible.
- Keep things as clean as possible. Anything that smells bad is likely to invite roaches into your yard, such as dog droppings or improperly mixed compost.
- Rake leaves and other organic debris away from your home. Cockroaches crawl around underneath leaf litter and organic debris.
- Address moisture problems. A clogged gutter system can make your perimeter inviting to roaches. Clear those clogs out and make repairs to your gutter system to reduce perimeter saturation.
- Seal potential entry points. It is impossible to seal cockroaches out of your home, but sealing common entry points has an impact and is definitely worth doing.
These five steps can reduce roach activity and prevent roaches from getting inside your home without the need for over-the-counter products.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Roaches & Keep Them Away
Natural cockroach protection around your home is a great way to deal with roach problems before they begin, but you can get even better protection against pests by contacting Baxter Pest Control. You don't have to wait until you're seeing cockroaches in your home.
A licensed residential pest control professional can help you right now - long before roaches get inside. When you get rid of cockroaches around your home, there is less chance of roaches plaguing you inside your home.
At Baxter Pest Control, we don't just provide cockroach pest control in Millinocket; we offer year-round pest control and ongoing perimeter protection. When it comes to keeping roaches out, this is the best way to go.
"My yard consistently looks great. I find the technician that does the applications knows my lawn like the back of his hand. They are reasonably priced and deliver superior service!"
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection