Flies Identification & Prevention
Understanding Flies And The Problems They Bring
All types of flies you might encounter around your property easily bring health risks and other problems. The only way to get rid of flies for good is by contacting Westfall's Lawn and Pest for professional fly control.
Frequently Asked Questions About Flies
What are flies?
Flies belong to the scientific order of Diptera, and you can commonly recognize them by their single pair of wings that allow them to buzz around human structures. They tend to be drawn to rotting food and decaying organic matter, and infestations of flies may be substantial, easily taking over your property.
Several different types of flies are notorious for invading human structures. You need to keep an eye out for species that include house flies, horseflies, fruit flies, drain flies, and fungus gnats. Westfall's Lawn and Pest can help you identify these species if they invade your property.
Are flies dangerous?
Flies are well-known as nuisance pests but are more dangerous than many people think. Flies spread over 60 different types of diseases to humans through their scavenging activities and surface contamination. These illnesses include serious conditions like dysentery, cholera, tuberculous, typhoid fever, and tularemia. Fly contamination may also lead to gastrointestinal problems and food-borne illnesses.
Some fly species may bite humans, leaving behind a painful swollen area or introducing bacteria that lead to infections or diseases; not to mention, infestations of flies are unpleasant to encounter and difficult to remove completely without professional help.
Why do I have a fly problem?
Flies are often attracted to food, moisture, and areas where they can lay their eggs. Easy access to these areas around your property encourages a fly problem to take place in the area and leaves you dealing with large infestations of these pests. It's important to remove or reduce fly-attracting factors when possible to deter these pests from invading in the first place.
Where will I find flies?
Outside, you'll find flies buzzing around trash cans, compost piles, pet waste, and pet food. They may also hide near moist or overgrown areas. Once they get into your property, you'll spot flies in kitchens, trash cans, food storage areas, bathrooms, and drains.
How do I get rid of flies?
The best way to get rid of flies is to trust our pest professionals at Westfall's Lawn and Pest. We can easily remove all types of flies invading your property and prevent infestations from reoccurring so that you can reclaim your peace and safety from these pests. Contact us today for a free evaluation.
How do I prevent flies in the future?
Prevent fly infestations in the future by following these easy fly deterrent tips.
- Install sturdy window and door screens in addition to weatherstripping so that flies can't easily slip inside the interior areas of your property.
- Seal cracks around windows, doors, the foundation, and utility areas to ensure your property is totally fly-proof.
- Make sure to seal up trash bags tightly and dispose of waste promptly in trash cans with tight-fitting lids that prevent fly scavenging.
- Cover compost piles and reduce or remove access to outdoor pet food as a way to reduce fly food sources.
- Store leftover food properly, clean up food or drink spills quickly, and dispose of food waste promptly before the aroma attracts flies.
- Keep drains clean and free of organic waste buildup, as flies love to lay their eggs and feed there.
If you need more help keeping flies away or assistance defeating an active fly infestation, contact Westfall's Lawn and Pest today.