Defeating Troublesome Silverfish Infestations
Silverfish infestations might not be the most dangerous, but they are a major nuisance and cause property damage when left to grow out of control. However, getting rid of silverfish is easy when you invest in professional silverfish pest control for your home or business.
Frequently Asked Questions About Silverfish
What are silverfish?
Silverfish are small insects that belong to the scientific order of Zygentoma. They are distinctive due to their silvery-grey, almost metallic color and their fish-like zig-zagging movements. Silverfish have long antennae and a tapered, teardrop-shaped body, and while they look frightening, they aren't the most dangerous pest you could host around your property. Still, silverfish are a nuisance pest, and proper silverfish treatment is necessary if you want to defeat infestations.
Are silverfish dangerous?
Silverfish aren't the most dangerous pests you can find around your property, but there is a small chance of contracting an illness as this insect leaves behind droppings while scavenging. Silverfish seek out starchy items to eat, and any food storage or pantry area is susceptible to an invasion. Furthermore, silverfish love to chew through things such as fabrics, books, clothing, and paper, which leads to them destroying your upholstery and ruining stored items.
Proper professional silverfish repellent is a necessity to defeat these pests.
Why do I have a silverfish problem?
Silverfish love properties with plenty of moisture, humid hiding spaces, and easy access to food such as stored items, cardboard boxes, and well-stocked pantries. It's important to evaluate your property for potential silverfish attractants if you want to stand a chance at preventing infestations of these pests.
Where will I find silverfish?
Silverfish most often hide out near moist, damp, and humid areas. Areas with piles of organic debris, vegetable gardens, and under decks or patios are favorite hiding spots outside. Indoors, you will most likely find silverfish around kitchens, bathrooms, basements, crawl spaces, and laundry rooms.
How do I get rid of silverfish?
Getting rid of silverfish is difficult when you undertake this task alone, but with the help of Westfall's Lawn and Pest, you can eliminate any size silverfish infestation with ease. Our expert team will help identify the root causes of your silverfish problem and work with you to tailor treatment plans to meet your property's specific needs.
With our help, you won't need to invest in hit-or-miss DIY silverfish control products. Simply reach out and request your free evaluation today to get started.
How can I prevent silverfish in the future?
Prevent silverfish from invading your commercial property or home in the future by following our expert tips below. These steps help make your space less hospitable to silverfish.
- Clean out outdoor areas of long grass, piles of organic debris, and overgrown foliage to eliminate easy silverfish hiding spots.
- Address moisture issues and leaks that might leave standing water or excess moisture around your property.
- Make sure interior areas are ventilated properly, and invest in a dehumidifier as needed to keep moisture out of bathrooms, kitchens, and basements.
- Seal up potential silverfish entry points, such as the gaps around windows, doors, and the foundation of your property, to keep these pests out.
- Fully silverfish-proof your property by installing weatherstripping, door sweeps, and sturdy window and door screens.
- Store all leftover food properly, and consider using airtight storage containers in food pantries or kitchen areas to make it harder for silverfish to scavenge.
If you have any questions about silverfish prevention or need assistance defeating an invasion of these insects, reach out to Westfall's Lawn and Pest.